Apply for a grant
If you cannot afford the full course fee, you are encouraged to apply for one of our grants
Arvon's unique grants system is part of our commitment to giving everyone the chance to write, to enable all writers to benefit from an Arvon week.
I would not ... have been able to afford to go on that course were it not for the grant I received from Arvon. The whole week from start to finish was magical, and I am so grateful for the opportunity...
The grants are awarded on the basis of financial need and not writing ability. These are limited in number, although we offer grants to around a quarter of students each year. Priority is given to those visiting Arvon for the first time and are only available for UK residents.
You may apply for any amount up to the full course fee. Although the average grant is usually between £200 to £300, we do offer higher amounts in exceptional cases. To help us support as many people as possible, please only apply if you would be unable to attend the course without a grant, and only ask for the minimum amount you need.
Grants are administered by staff at our centres and one application form covers all schemes: your completed application should be sent to the centre hosting your chosen course.
UPDATE: As of 12 July 2013 there are no more grants available for 2013 courses at Lumb Bank. There will be grants available for the 2014 programme, which goes on sale January 2014.
To apply for a grant
- Download the grant pack, which contains full details of the application procedure and an application form.
- Go to the course you wish to attend and click Book This Course, ensuring you complete the grant application section. (You will not need to pay until your grant application has been considered.)
- Complete the application form and send along with your supporting documents to your chosen centre.
- If you would prefer to send your application and supporting documents by email, you can download an editable Microsoft Word version of the application form here. Please email the centre that is hosting your chosen course.
- After we’ve assessed your application we’ll contact you with a decision and to finalise your booking.
If you have any questions, please contact the centre that is hosting the course you would like to attend.
Arvon grant recipients are entitled for a Free Read of their work by Arvon partners The Literary Consultancy. For more information please see here.
Grants are only available to UK residents.
The Arvon grants scheme is supported by the Derek Hill Foundation, the Harold Hyam Wingate Foundation and the Barbara and Philip Denny Trust.